So much technology, so little time (Altexa Backup, SAP HANA r82 and an UPS for my Raspberry Pi)

My doesn't time fly when you're having fun. I didn't get half as much stuff done as I wanted to this summer, but I suppose that was to be expected, rea ally.


That being said...

Altexa Backup is still progressing. It can now properly do data deduplication in the archive (think zipfile) module. It will even write the space saved in the log.

Catalogue handling routines have been spun out into their own class, and can handle just about everything that can be thrown at them. The class can even handle data not initially provided for, with a 'saveEngineSpecificInfo' function. It works well, has again cut code size down, and makes for easier debugging. Yay.

The system has been prepped for multiple storage engines per job. That is, all the storage-engine-handling routines now loop through configured storage engines for a job. The New Job dialog doesn't currently implement this however, as I need to find an elegant solution to the question of what to do if the first storage engine saves a backup file ok, but the second in the list breaks. I don't want backups to be desynchronised between storage engines.

Backup and storage engines can now have parameters which are of the 'Boolean' type. They will be shown in the interface as a checkbox, and vales saved as either 'True' or 'False'. I want to implement default values for parameters, too - I'll try to get that done tomorrow. For the ftp storage engine, I'd like the 'Port' parameter to default to the value of 21, for example. Oh, and as well as 'string', parameters can have the 'password' type, which will show up on the screen as asterisks.


On the SAP HANA front, revision 82 has been released. The usual bugfixes and so on, nothing much to note. When I have the time, I'll do some speed tests of the different releases of the software, to see how things are evolving over time. I'm also installing ECC EHP7 on HANA at work. I've spent a long time downloading everything over the s-l-o-w internet connection, to the installation can now go ahead.


My Raspberry Pi now has an UPS. Or a UPiS as it's called. It's a 2000mA battery attached to some intelligent circuitry, and the GPIO pins on the PI. It'll shut the PI down properly in case of power getting low (the battery lasts for about 2 hours - enough for must power outages), so hopefully my SD Cards will stop getting corrupted.


It's all fun!